How to have an Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Christmas

This festive season is the perfect opportunity for you to be a part of the movement towards a more sustainable world.
Make your Christmas green, by opting for Eco-friendly and Sustainable options this year...

 


FABRIC GIFT WRAP

Image Credit: The Fabric Wrapping Co.

Image Credit: The Fabric Wrapping Co.

Much of the Christmas wrapping paper available cannot be recycled due to them containing  glitter, plastic or foil. Avoid wrapping paper waste by using reusable fabric wraps. 

The Fabric Wrapping Co. has a range of different wraps that can be used year after year. Alternatively, if you don’t want to purchase new fabric wraps, you can use any spare fabric that you have lying around your house. The Fabric Wrapping Co. gives examples and step-by-step tutorials on how you can wrap your presents beautifully. 

This year, The Fabric Wrapping Co. have also created a “Wrap with Care” pledge. For every pledge, they’ll plant a tree with Mossy Earth in an attempt to reduce waste. As a thank you, they will share with you “stories of beautiful giving, how-tos, and eco-friendly giving inspiration”.

What fabrics can you use to wrap your presents this year?

 

PLANTABLE CHRISTMAS CARDS

Image credit: Firebox.com

It is said that 1 billion Christmas Cards will end up in bins, which is the equivalent of around 33 million trees. 

And so, why don’t you treat your loved ones with plantable cards that are fully biodegradable?

Once the Christmas festivities are over, simply tear the card into pieces, plant it in some soil and watch as your seeds bloom into beautiful flowers!

 

RECYCLABLE CRACKERS

Image credit: Nancy and Betty Studio

 

Crackers are essential to have at the Christmas table, so why not reduce waste and have crackers that are beneficial for the environment?

Nancy and Betty Studio have a range of crackers that are unbearably cute, whilst also being fully recyclable (once the bows are removed). 

The gifts inside are plastic-free and useful, so no waste there either!

They are handmade in the UK, to minimise shipping costs and they also plant one tree for every box of crackers that are sold - what more could you want?

BIODEGRADABLE GLITTER

Image credit: Eco Glitter Fun

No one can resist a bit of glitter throughout the festive season and if you’re one of those people, make sure you are opting for biodegradable ones.

Eco Glitter Fun offers a wide range of biodegradable glitters that are perfect to use for Christmas crafts or as stocking stuffers!

Their glitters are suitable for use on the face, hair, body and crafts.

 

 

ECO-FRIENDLY DECORATIONS

 

Image credit: Wearth.com

 

Plastic-free decorations are a great way to add festive cheer to your home, but also be environmentally friendly.

 

The Sustainabilitree from Life&Soul does exactly that by being eco-friendly as well as reusable. 

 

The chic tree is made ethically in the UK from 90% recycled materials (the rest 10% is sustainably sourced), meaning it is fully recyclable and compostable. 

 

 

Words by Megan Wraight

 Graphics by Dee Jobanputra

Read more